The 'Wilson' Veterinary Medicine Manufacturing Co. Ltd. Medallion, 1912
In much the same way as clubs look for sponsorship today, the clubs of yesteryear also sought sponsorship, particularly for awards to pass to the winning exhibitors at shows. The majority of these came from the many Specialty Clubs themselves, but many precious cups and medallions were donated by individual cat fanciers, to promote their breed or colour of interest.
Added to this, were those donated from commercial Specialty Interests, such as this one, presented by The 'Wilson' Veterinary Medicine Manufacturing Company Ltd - Ashford, Middlesex (UK) - Canine and Feline experts.
In fact, Mr. & Mrs. Wilson attended many shows during the first 15 years of the 20th century, Mrs. Wilson donating miscellaneous rosettes and awards, and Mr. Wilson often in attendance as the officiating veterinarian.
In the photo below, published in the February 16, 1912 issue of Fur and Feather, we see Mr. J.H. Wilson, performing his duties as Honorary Veterinarian at the Newbury Show of that year. In the photo, he is inspecting an admirable Blue Persian that has arrived in a cleanly lined Wicker Cat Carrier. In attendance are admiring fanciers, including at far right, Miss Savory, the well-known breeder and fancier of Blue Persians.
Home | Cats | Gallery | Clubs | People | Artifacts | Articles | Updates | Contact Us
©The CFA Foundation, Inc and The Harrison Weir Collection