G. Heitkemper Co. Trophy (1911)
According to The Sunday Oregonian, the first show ever held in Portland, Oregon was by the newly formed Oregon Cat Club. The show, on January 19th, 20th and 21st, 1911 was "pronounced a success in every way and being visited by throngs of people each day"1.
Entries were received by the club's Secretary/Treasurer, C. D. Minton, and the show was hosted on the fourth floor of the Meier & Frank Department Store in POrtland, and judged by Mrs. Paul Janney of Medford, OR. The show attracted between 170 and 200 entries (depending on which The Sunday Oregonian' news report you read and accept).
Among the prize-winning pedigreed entries was a Blue Persian male, Sir Ko Ko, owned by Mrs F. G. Hiller, of Seattle. Sir Ko Ko went on to win the Supreme Award in Show.
The pictured trophy was won by Sir Ko Ko at this show, for Best Long-haired Blue Male Cat in Show. The cup was sponsored by well-known Portland retail and wholesale jewellers, G. Heitkemper Co, incorporated by Gerhard Heitkemper, Frank A. Heitkemper and Edward Cookingham, in 1896.
Sir Ko Ko was born on May 5, 1908, the result of a breeding of Pousette to Cocette. He is found in both the CFA and ACA registers: in the CFA Studbook Vol.2 (CFA:738), and in the ACA Vol.4(ACA:1994) where he is listed as having gained his Championship Medal, and as owned by Mrs Fred G. Hiller of Seattle, Washington.
Home | Cats | Gallery | Clubs | People | Artifacts | Articles | Updates | Contact Us
©The CFA Foundation, Inc and The Harrison Weir Collection